[Squeakland] Linking projects

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Tue Mar 28 05:11:37 PST 2006

The link that Randy points to below discusses how to use Squeak Etoy
projects as "better than Powerpoint" slides.

But there are three other ways to make links to projects. As usual, the UI
could combine this better .... there could be better documentation ...

1. Look at the submenu New Morph from the world menu. The last item is Make
link to Project. This will give you a list of all the projects in your
image and choosing from this list will give you a thumbnail of the project
that can be resized and used.

2. Any player can be a button. Go to "Extras" in the World menu and choose
"Mouse Up Action". In here you can type any Squeak expression. The one you
want here to e.g. go to a project named Gas Tank is: (Project named: 'Gas
Tank') enter: false. This will produce a surrounding rollover frame and
will take you to the named project on mouse up.

3. You can take any text object and choose part of it to make a hyperlink.
Suppose you have "go here to see this" and you want to sensitize "here". Type
"go here<(Project named: 'Gas Tank') enter: false> to see this". Select
"here<(Project named: 'Gas Tank') enter: false>". Alt (or control if you
are on a Mac) 6 will bring up a menu for text options. "Choose Do It". The
result will be "go here to see this" with the "here" colored blue, pressing
on this will execute the Squeak expression "(Project named: 'Gas Tank')
enter: false" and will take you there.

Cheers,

Alan