[Squeakland] eToys interface showed Smalltalk object browser when clicking on inspect/eye halo button

Guyren Howe guyren at mac.com
Mon Nov 6 20:46:49 PST 2006

Just did my first eToys group today. It went really well! After one
hour, a dozen computers were covered with sprites moving in all kinds
of ways, covered in turtle trails, making a huge cacophany. The
students all did more than I expected in the time.

My puzzle is this: I got there an hour before the class, and went
round all the computers, going to the Squeakland website, and running
the installer on each of the computers. Identical stpes on 16 computers.

During the group, one of the students called me over. She'd been at
the computer for five or ten minutes by this point. On this machine,
when you click on an eToy, click on its eye/inspect halo button,
rather than the normal eToy inspector, we got what seems to be some
kind of smalltalk browser. I clicked around a bit, and I couldn't
find anything in that window that would show the regular eToy
inspector, nor any other way of bringing up the eToy inspector, nor
what she might have done to cause this change in behavior.

Comments? (cause/fix/workaround)

Thanks.