[Squeakland] Squeak first impressions and a couple questions

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Wed Nov 8 02:51:43 PST 2006

Hi, Jeff/Julio,

As others have mentioned, many of your queries are probably best
directed at the squeak-dev or seaside mailing list.  However, I'll
try to answer some of them here anyway:

> 1. When creating a new morph, how do you get it to appear in the
> flaps registry?, ( I managed to successfully create a read only
> text morph by copying the textmorph class and removing the
> HandlesKeystroke method, but I don't know how to get it into the
> supplies flap. )

(a)  Just pick up an instance of your morph with the mouse (use the
black halo handle if necessary,) drag it over the Supplies flap, then
"drop" it into the flap.  From then on, you can pull new instances of
your kind of morph out of the Supplies flap at will.

(b)  Rather than copying the entire TextMorph class to bring about
one change, it would be more conventional to *subclass* TextMorph,
and in your custom subclass supply only an override for that one
message.

(c)  You can make any vanilla text morph "read-only" by simply
turning on the "be locked" option in its halo menu, so perhaps you
don't really require any code change at all.

(d)  If none of the above three suggestions suits your needs, and you
really want to get involved with the "Flaps registry", you'll
probably want to be modifying method Flaps class
defaultsQuadsDefiningPlugInSuppliesFlap and
defaultsQuadsDefiningSuppliesFlap.

> 2. I figured out how to get my race car to react to keystrokes, but
> I'd like to get it to react to keys that are still down. In other
> words, when I keep holding the up arrow after hitting the left
> arrow, I want it to continue accelerating without me needing to hit
> the up arrow again. Is there a way to script "KeyBeingHeldDown" or
> something like that?

No, unfortunately not.  The closest thing I can recommend is to
script an acceleration *button* to fire on mouse-still-down.

> 3. While playing around with text entries, I managed to get scripts
> to fire based on the text's last character... unless that character
> is the enter key. I tried <cr> for carriage return, and other
> variations to represent that, to no avail. How can I start a script
> from a person hitting enter after typing a command in the text field?

Not easily.  The "enter" key often serves as a signal that character-
entry in some context is done, and for this to work, it is not
treated as a normal text character; instead it is intercepted specially.

More tractable is to have your user submit by hitting a *carriage
return* rather than the enter key.  Proper handling of this, assuming
that you want to trigger a script when the cr is hit, then not again
until cr is hit again, is still going to require a slight excursion
into textual scripting.  You can check for the field's characters'
last character being equal to a cr, and if it is, you both: (a)
remove that last character, so you won't encounter it again on the
next tick and (b) trigger your desired script.

I'm attaching here a little project that illustrates how to do this.
Not beautiful, but possible.