[Squeakland] Making a Copy of an eToy from a script and using the mouse pointer to activate an eToy script

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Nov 14 04:54:48 PST 2006

On Nov 13, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

>> When you execute "Car's copy", the result will be the creation of a
>> copy of Car (strictly speaking a "sibling", viz. a fellow instance of
>> the same class as Car.)
>>
>> However, if you don't *place* that copy somewhere, you won't see it.
>> The standard idiom for placing an object somewhere via script is to
>> tell the *container* in which you place it to "include" it.
>>
>> Here's a typical usage pattern:
>
> This works pretty good. I use the world as a container and now I
> have a
> lot of stars in the wold. At the beginning I thought it was not
> working
> because all starts were copied over the original one, but then I
> realized what was happening. There is still something I don't know how
> to do: how can I send a message to a particular copy. Suppose I have
> copied a Car and I have a script  for  the original one to make the
> car
> go forward and now I wan to make the recent copy to use that script.
> There is some natural number in each of the copies' names. Can I
> use it
> as a reference for the copies scripts to enable them?

The trick here is to assign the newborn to a "player-valued" variable
belonging to the object that creates the newborn.  That gives you a
way to refer to the it.  (To create a player-valued variable within
an object, first hit the V button at the top of the viewer to add a
variable; give it a name; then from its menu, choose "change value
type" and from the pop-up of available types, choose Player.)

Thus, if the birthing script belongs to an object named "Foo", and
that the script you want the newborn to run is called "zork".

         Foo's newborn := Car's copy.    "creates the newborn and
stashes it in a variable belonging to Foo"
	World append: Foo's newborn.    "add the newborn to the world"
	Foo's newborn zork.		"have the newborn run its zork script"

There is an awkward and non-intuitive construction necessary to build
"Foo's newborn zork".  To do this right now, the usual way is to get
a "Foo's zork" statement, and then grab a "Foo's newborn" tile from
the "variables" section of Foo's viewer, and drop it on top of the
"Foo's" in "Foos zork", thus making "Foos' newborn's zork".  The
meaning of this construct is"  "Send the message #zork to the object
referred to by the value in Foo's variable named 'newborn' ".

One common use for this approach, since newborns created with "copy"
will typically pile up all in the same location, is to have the post-
birth code move the newborn a small distance away from the donor, and
perhaps make some further adjustments to the newborn to give it a
good start in life.  I attach a tiny project that illustrates this
use.  Every time you click on an object, it gives birth to a new
object, which starts out life at the same location as its parent, but
is given its own heading and a slightly increased speed.