[Squeakland] Making a Copy of an eToy from a script and using the mouse pointer to activate an eToy script

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Tue Nov 14 07:41:30 PST 2006

Hi Offray --

Etoys was designed for 9-11 year olds, and it has
worked very well with them. However, even 8th
graders are able to use more features, and high
schoolers should be using a pretty complete
programming environment (like Squeak).

You are not the only one to want to do more with
Etoys, and I think this is because the basic
notion of Etoys' universal objects, easy
scripting and multitasking are things every
programming environment needs. In "a year or so"
we will have something more like a full spectrum
system that can be used by a much wider range of users.

Squeak itself is very easy -- as Tony Hoare once
said about Algol, Smalltalk was a great
improvement, especially with its successors! --
the problem for beginners is that the library has
only one organization, which kind of lumps
everything together, and this is a large lump.
This is powerful but can be quite frustrating
(other comprehensive systems have similar
problems). Etoys is kind of a demo that quite a
bit can be done with much much less in the
end-user's world, but the aim at 10 year olds
limits its range. Our original plan was to wind
up with a more Hypercard-like system, still small
and simple, but much more comprehensive.

But, since Squeak is "live" and includes all of
its parts and tools written in itself, much can
be done with the existing system. For example, it
is quite possible to make up an end user view of
a system by making a special code browser for it
that would only show the relevant useful classes.
Morphic itself was designed to be quite simple
and to allow quick naive presentations driven by
Squeak methods. Etc. E.g. instead of trying to
make the tile scripting system do things it
wasn't designed to do, you might look at how
morphs and players could be programmed in the Squeak code browser, etc.

This would produce a system with a simple and
easy to learn syntax, huge expressive power, and
a number of useful graphics classes to do things
with on the screen. Not the very best thing that
could be done for high schoolers, but would still
allow a lot to be learned without huge expeditions into the library.

Cheers,

Alan