[Squeakland] How to share?

Guyren Howe guyren at mac.com
Wed Nov 15 21:44:47 PST 2006

Hello, all.

My initial efforts with an after-school 9-11 year old group are going
very well. I think if it works reliably and is easy to use, the
sharing facilities that are hinted at on the site, which would seem
to make simple networked games very easy to create, would be wonderful.

But I can't see how to get them to work.

I've tried going to the Object Catalog and dragging out a Badge, a
Fridge, a Listener, a Nebraska Server (and starting it), and a
Welcome thingy. On two machines on the same subnet. And I can't see
anything from there that would seem to let me connect from one to the
other, apart from the badge.

This lets me put in an email address and (or?) an IP address.

Doing this on a XP and a OS X machine side by side, I tried putting
in the IP address of the XP machine on the mac, and clicking on the T
button (open a Telemorphic). This momentarily produced an ugly error
dialog. When I tried to dismiss this, it locked up Squeak on my Mac
(specifically: the error message "Cannot connect to..." kept
appearing in pieces across the top of the error dialog, and the mouse
wouldn't move). I ended up having to kill Squeak on the Mac.

On WIndows, I just get errors when I try to connect.

The Fridge keeps complaining that it knows of no server, but there is
no obvious way to tell it of one.

Heeeeelllllpppp!!!