[Squeakland] Making a Copy of an eToy from a script and using the mouse pointer to activate an eToy script

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Thu Nov 16 04:02:15 PST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> ¿So, you created #chooseMessageTarget script without using the
> visor of
> the world?. I see that trying to drag & drop to create a script
> from any
> object's visor gives me and script where I can switch from tiles to
> text
> (destructively) but I can't save the code wrote in text mode. I
> will try
> to see how can I made the same from the recommended bibliography.

Hi, Offray!

I *did* create that script from a Viewer, dragging an "empty script"
tile from the viewer and dropping it on the desktop, then clicking
the checkbox in the resulting Scriptor's header to switch to textual
mode.  The reason you can't (destructively) switch that script back
to tile mode (which would a script with no tiles) is because of the
bug I mentioned yesterday.

> ¿So, you have (re)implemented chooseClickTarget?. I really need to
> learn
> how to do these things. I will try to browse the docs and FreeBooks
> you
> suggested trying to search the way. The new StarLemming5 its working
> like a charm. I will say to my students to reimplement, copy the
> object
> from their project to yours, so we can use the code you provide us for
> our lemmings clone :-).

Yes, I made a "system" code change to #chooseClickTarget, in order to
allow scripts to tick while in the target-choosing cursor mode, and I
embedded that change in the project I sent you.  Pending further
discussion and testing, that system change will get published to the
Squeakland update stream, so that all users will be able to benefit
from it.

BTW I attach a slightly improved version of the prospective code
change, which you could have your students file in when needed.

> Pdt: Would be really nice to have something like "Ligth and
> Matter" [1]
> free books for Squeak (in the sense of freedom, not price). I hope to
> make some contributions in that sense next semester, from my novice
> perspective.
>
> [1] http://www.lightandmatter.com/
> [2] http://www.lightandmatter.com/area1why.html
> [3] http://www.lightandmatter.com/article/sneaky.html