[Squeakland] [BUG] Can't use Squeakland plugin very well from Firefox...

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Nov 17 08:02:26 PST 2006

Hi all,

I just tried to use the Squeakland plugin on my Mac Mini. I'm running
the most recent version of Tiger (10.4.8), and I have a Squeakland image
that I just downloaded.

I'm using Firefox 2.0 as a browser.

When I try to run the test project from the Squeakland website (or the
Weasel Essay):

* I get a SyntaxError notification, with the text:

'Nothing more expected-><'

* Somewhere up the stack I see a "Message not understood:
ByteArray>>string". The CodeLoader's stream is a MultiByteFileStream;
its converter is a UTF8TextConverter.

* Trying to use the "mail bug report" menu choice from the debugger, I
can't use Cmd-S to do an "accept". In fact, all Cmd- keys are
intercepted by Firefox. Unfortunately, there is no text context menu in
the "mail bug report" text editor.

* Control-clicks are sent to both Squeak and Firefox, sometimes
resulting in both context menus coming up.

* Repaints are unreliable. I sometimes have to drag the Squeak objects
around to get them to repaint.

* Here's the full stack at the exception:

Process>>suspend
SyntaxError class>>open:
SyntaxErrorNotification>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
SyntaxErrorNotification(Exception)>>signal
SyntaxErrorNotification class>>inClass:withCode:doitFlag:
Parser>>notify:at:
Parser>>expected:
Parser>>method:context:encoder:
[] in Parser>>parse:class:noPattern:context:notifying:ifFail: {[t7 :=
t10     method: t3     context: t4     encoder: (Encoder new       in...]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
Parser>>parse:class:noPattern:context:notifying:ifFail:
Compiler>>translate:noPattern:ifFail:
Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:notifying:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:logged:
[] in MultiByteFileStream(PositionableStream)>>fileInAnnouncing: {[t2 :=
(self peekFor: $!)     ifTrue: [(Compiler evaluate: self nextChunk lo...]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in MultiByteFileStream(PositionableStream)>>fileInAnnouncing: {[:t4 |
  [self atEnd]   whileFalse: [t4 value: self position.    self skipSep...]}
ProgressInitiationException>>sendNotificationsTo:
[] in ProjectLauncher>>installProjectFrom: {[:t2 | t2
sendNotificationsTo: [:t3 :t4 :t5 | t5]]}
BlockContext>>valueWithPossibleArgs:
[] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal: {[(self tempAt: 2)
valueWithPossibleArgs: {t1}]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
ProgressInitiationException(Exception)>>signal
ProgressInitiationException>>display:at:from:to:during:
ProgressInitiationException class>>display:at:from:to:during:
ByteString(String)>>displayProgressAt:from:to:during:
MultiByteFileStream(PositionableStream)>>fileInAnnouncing:
MultiByteFileStream(FileStream)>>fileIn
MultiByteFileStream>>fileInProject
MultiByteFileStream>>fileInObjectAndCodeForProject
[] in ProjectLoading
class>>openName:stream:fromDirectory:withProjectView: {[t5 := t5
fileInObjectAndCodeForProject]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in ProjectLoading
class>>openName:stream:fromDirectory:withProjectView: {[[t5 := t5
fileInObjectAndCodeForProject]   on: FontSubstitutionDuringLoadin...]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
ProjectLoading class>>openName:stream:fromDirectory:withProjectView:
CodeLoader>>installProject
[] in ProjectLauncher>>installProjectFrom: {[t1 installProject]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in ProjectLauncher>>installProjectFrom: {[[t1 installProject]   on:
ProjectViewOpenNotification   do: [:t2 | t2 resum...]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in ProjectLauncher>>installProjectFrom: {[[[t1 installProject]   on:
ProjectViewOpenNotification   do: [:t2 | t2 resu...]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
ProjectLauncher>>installProjectFrom:
ProjectLauncher>>startUpAfterLogin
ProjectLauncher>>doEtoyLogin
ProjectLauncher>>startUp
[] in AutoStart class>>startUp: {[t4 startUp]}
WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
PasteUpMorph>>runStepMethods
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor
yield.  false] whileFalse.  nil]}
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor terminateActive]}

--
Ned Konz
ned at bike-nomad.com
http://bike-nomad.com