[Squeakland] Making Cultural simulations on Kedama

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Wed Oct 18 22:24:10 PDT 2006

Hi Serge and all,

Serge Stinckwich escribió:

> Hi,
>
> some of my students have made similar "social" simulations with the help
> of Kedama, for example they implement the segration model of Schelling
> (http://www-eco.enst-bretagne.fr/~phan/complexe/schelling.html)
>
> Look in the french Squeak wiki here : http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Kedama
>
> Sorry only in french.
>
> Cheers,

I have been reading and trying to redo the model of Schelling based on
the information you give me and the explanation here:

http://workspace.phazon.info/2006-m1-iad/gblondel_ldavid_rapport.pdf

when I try to do the testSatisfaction script I can go further that the
screen shot attached. The translation of the first only line goes
something like this:

rojo's | numberOfNeighborhoods <- |  rojo's | patchValueIn | patch

(please note that I'm not trying to translate to Smalltalk/Squeak code,
only to put/emulate the text on the Etoy script from spanish to
english). But in the documented article, the code goes something like this:

rojo's | numberOfNeighborhoods <- |  rojo's | patchValueIn | patchRed

I have not idea how to refer to patchRed object. This patch was already
added and renamed, but I don't know how to "link" the red population
turtle with a specific patch. Same for blue turtle population and patchBlue.

Another question: after writing the behavior  of the red turtle
population, there is a way to copy the same for the blue turtle
population or need I to rewrite it again?

I hope that any of you can give me a quick pointer to the solution.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Offray