[Squeakland] Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 13 13:51:05 PDT 2006

Hi Kim,

Thank you for your quick response.

[Squeakland] Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?
>Kim Rose kim.rose at squeakland.org
>Tue Sep 12 05:18:25 PDT 2006 wrote:

>Hi, Jerome -
>This preference was created especially for childrens'
use and is
>quite helpful to kids first learning to work with
sketches and
>manipulating them via the handles in the halo.

Ok. That's what I was looking for.

>  Is there a reason  that merely opting *not* to use
this preference
> and saving an image this way will not suffice your
need?

I didn't ask my question with a wish to eliminate the
feature. I wanted to find out who its customers were.
I also wanted to find out who spoke for those
customers. Now that I have the follow-on question
becomes:

If you could have things anyway you wanted them how
would you want them?
Why do mouseOverHalos only affect sketch morphs?
What makes scketch morphs special to the children?

The other way to eliminate the preference is to find
out if anybody (on the squeakdev side) cares if it is
always on.

Which brings me to the point I can address your
question.  The number of prefences in squeak has grown
so great that maintaining squeak by testing all the
combinations is not possible. Any option eliminated
cuts the task in half. So I am exploring that.

If you'll remember the request the inventor of the
chess made of the king. A how the king realized it
would be easier to cut off the inventors head than
place twice the number of grains on each successive
square of the board. You will have some idea of the
maintainence issues involved. :-)

>Certainly for the "Squeak" image (vs. the
"Squeakland" image) this
>may not be problemmatic as we advise any teacher,
parent or child
>using Squeak to make eToys to use the "Squeakland
image" which has
>this option.
>  -- Kim

Cool.