[Squeakland] more on group objects

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 20:03:21 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Two other solutions are available:

1) You can embed a playfield into a object of your
choice (e.g. the rectangle). It goes with just a
little bit of struggle (use the grab halo handle to
move the playfield).

2) The other is from the red menu halo choose
Extras...>put in a window. The playfield gets set into
a system window which can be moved. The color of the
playfield gets changed to transparent or white in the
process but you can probably fiddle with that. To then
get the viewer for the playfield you would probably
have to halo click a couple of times to hone in on it.
Of course the lazy way would be to get the viewer on
the playfield and then put it in a window. :-)

HTH,

Yours in service, -Jerome Peace

>  [Squeakland] group objects
>  Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
>  Sat Mar 10 15:26:07 PST 2007 wrote:

>  And of course, you can get out a playfield, fiddle
with
>  its options
>  to allow it to be picked up, make it transparent,
etc.,
>  then put it
>  back in supplies, and it will form a prototype of
this
>  kind of playfield.
>
>  You can also use shift-drag to pick up a group of
>  graphic objects to
>  put them in the playfield. (This could be a
smoother
>  smarter
>  operation than the current situation in Etoys.)
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  Alan
>
>  At 04:53 AM 3/10/2007, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>  >Err, you're right - use a playfield to construct
the
>  script. However,
>  >once the script is there, you could actually
replace
>  the playfield
>  >tile with a rectangle tile and it will still work.
Or
>  even better,
>  >drop a "line's holder" tile into its place ...
>  >
>  >This is what I did when I tried it. The reason I
>  preferred a
>  >Rectangle is that you can pick it up with all its
>  contents. For a
>  >playfield you would have to fiddle with its
options in
>  the halo menu
>  >to achieve this.
>  >
>  >- Bert -
>  >
>  >On Mar 10, 2007, at 12:54 , Randy Heiland wrote:
>  >
>  > > Thanks Bert.  Ah yes, it's coming back to me.
>  However, don't I
>  > > need to use a Playfield as my "container"
object?
>  I followed your
>  > > instructions - drawing a rectangle and
embedding my
>  line into it.
>  > > But then I couldn't find a "rectangle include"
tile
>  in any of the
>  > > categories - is it there and I just missed it?
In
wrote:
>  > >>
>  > >>> Apologies if I've asked this in the past and
>  forgot... am I able to
>  > >>> group/join together multiple objects into a
>  composite object?
>  > >>
>  > >> Sure, "embed" them into one "container"
object.
>  That can be any
>  > >> object, like a Rectangle, or an Ellipse may
look
>  nice, or just
>  > >> make it transparent.
>  > >>
>  > >>> I'd like to:
>  > >>>   - paint a fat line
>  > >>>   - script to:  rotate it and make copies
>  > >>>   - treat all lines as a single object
>  > >>
>  > >> Make a Rectangle. Draw the fat line on top of
it.
>  From the Line's
>  > >> halo menu choose "embed into ... Rectangle".
Now
>  when grabbing the
>  > >> rectangle, the line moves with it. Then make a
>  script like "Line
>  > >> turnBy: 30. Rectangle include: Line's copy."
and