[Squeakland] [Fwd: Questions regarding Squeak]

Eric Eisaman eric.eisaman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 17:25:47 PDT 2007

Well, I have been using Squeak Etoys for two years in my high school classes
as a means to create physical simulations, presentations, and games.  I like
Etoys as an initiation to object oriented programming however, at times
students students become overwhelmed with Etoys. If this happens frequently
within a specific class of students, I have them use "Scratch", available at
scratch.mit.edu . "Scratch" is a gentler approach to programming than Etoys
yet lacks some of the advanced functionality. Next year I may start everyone
in "Scratch" before moving on to Etoys. The more advanced students have
shown some success in creating with the latest  Full Squeak image without
using Etoys. I am however, limited in my own abilities to help the advanced
students. I have done a few tutorials with Tweak yet lack enough
understanding to use it in class. I feel that Croquet will be a great option
for my classes, but I continuously receive callout errors when the program
tries to access the OpenGL library which I know is installed. I think it's
important for the students to see growing levels of sophistication built on
the same basic virtual machine going from Scratch to Etoys to Squeak to
Smalltalk.

If you have particular lessons or project goals you wish to share, I can
respond with appropriate detail for what it's worth.

Best Wishes,
Eric