[Squeakland] Squeak and concept maps.

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Mon Aug 6 07:29:06 PDT 2007

Hi Andrés,

I was thinking about mind maps and Squeak for quite a while and I think
that is a good combination. At this moment I'm using two programs for
"mind flow" stuff:

 * The first one is Free Mind, a mind mapping tool in java. The most
impressive thing is that you can sketch so quickly your ideas as in
paper and then, on a second look, work on details. (graphical layout and
color of branches, links, images, etc)

 * The second is Leo, for Literate Editor with Outlines. Is some kind of
"deconstructing cognitive tool". You can import files and made chunks of
it in any order you want and create an outline which gives you, at the
same time, the view of the all and the part. And that outline just fits
your way of organizing and thinking because you create it as you work.

I think that Squeak is a great tool because we think in multimedia
technicolor :), not just images, or relations, but sound, animation,
etc. and the metamedium abilities of Squeak are nice for that. I don't
know if I would made the thing from the scratch, may be it's easier, but
I think that would be more interesting if software like Leo could bring
structuring capabilities (outlines, clones, hierarchies) to the
multimedia capabilities of Squeak and each program/environment present
itself as a service to the other. After all, its all about messages.

Just random thinking :). Cheers,

Offray