[Squeakland] Demoing Etoys to kids

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 20:11:44 PDT 2007

I'd probably start with the car demo, which is on the squeakland site - not
imaginative of me but everyone is interested in cars :-)

It doesn't really matter as long as you have something of interest prepared
before hand. I think you are really asking how to teach? The important thing
is to keep communicating with and monitoring how they are going and be
prepared to adapt as you go along. Most beginning teachers make the mistake
of trying to cover too much content, rather than establishing a good
relationship and rapport with the students. It's important to be prepared
and have some real content but once the lesson starts all sorts of things
will begin to  happen and the important thing is to be alert and to respond
to that. Stick to your plan or respond to the kids needs or some sort of
combination? That is what teaching is all about, sometimes flying by the
seat of your pants. As long as the kids are engaged you are doing fine,
don't worry if you don't get to the end of your prepared lesson! The 30-60
mins will fly.

hth
--
Bill Kerr