[Squeakland] More thoughts - Re: Demoing Etoys to kids

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Sun Aug 12 07:26:16 PDT 2007

In July I traveled around to a number of workshops in different parts
of the US. While at CMU in Pittsburgh, I got a surprise invitation to
talk to 11-14 year olds who were attending a summer computing day
camp. There were about 25 kids and this was small enough for me to
show them things and ask questions, etc. For projects, the lack of
prep time led me to just use what I had been showing the teachers
minus the philosophy slides. Here's the list that we went through in
about an hour.

Most of the them are the standard examples I show. There were a few new ones.

Make a car and steering wheel and drive it around. Use a property
(Wheel's heading). Use a scale (Wheel's heading/3)

Kedama epidemic while graphing the percentage of infected villagers:
2, 1000, 500, 100. As what the diseases on the extremes look like.
Answer from the kids: the fast acting one was like Ebola, and the
slow one was like AIDS.

How to follow a road with a robot car
Ashley and Janae's middle of the road robot car
Middle of the road car with two headlights as sensors
Jenny's Pig Race

Salmon Sniff -- gradient following feedback with single and multiple salmon
Fish and Plankton (this could be omitted, it was just in this sequence)
Ant colony -- the classic ants and food feedback system

Speed and acceleration reflection on increase by (using dots and
arrows to get visual picture of S and A).
Animation using holder and increase by
Bouncing ball animation (change "speed" increment to change rate
through the images)
A movie is an animation (example is how the upcoming ball drop movie was made)
A music synthesizer is an "animation" (change "speed" increment to
change pitch, etc.)

Computer Logic Game (Alex Warth's way to use costumes as visualizers
of state and for state). Wires, Not, And, Or, etc. gates.
How to make a script (a visual Logo interpreter that uses Etoys
polymorphism to do the interpretation)
A rule based programming system (another way to do interpretation to
make a StageCast like interpreter and then do the epidemic sim)
ToyLog (a visual animated Prolog with English syntax and using the
Simpson family as a database)

==== That was all we had time for ======== Naturally, they loved it
and wanted to do things with it.

Some advice about teaching geometry to children. It's possible that
the teacher may not understand geometry very well (and you didn't
indicate what she meant by "geometry").

In any case, in general (and especially for 3rd graders) I would not
center the learning on the computer to start with. There are three or
four things that children this age can learn deeply that using the
computer in an ancillary fashion with help make stronger. One theme
to try is "map-making" starting with making models of objects and
progressing to models of classrooms, school-yards, surrounding
neighborhoods, etc. Our experience with this came from a highly
successful adaptation of Doreen Nelson's "City Building" Curriculum
for 3rd graders that we did in the LA Open Magnet School some years back.

Scaling and proportion are approached by having the children make
"object costumes" (taking household objects and blowing them up into
wearable costumes) and then having an "object parade". The Open
School had made an garden and it was traditional for the 3rd graders
to design it. So they had to measure it and make a model to let them
think about it in the classroom. This got them to think about scaling
the other way. One way to do both scaling is to have two measuring
systems with equally spaced tick marks but with different distances
between the ticks, etc. Make the ration between the tick marks
something the children can compute in their heads (they don't need
this to do the scaling but they do need it to start understanding ratios).

The scaling ideas can start to be used on the computer, etc.

This part of the curriculum leads to a very rich city of the future
design effort stretching over many months that combines many kinds of
math, design, and systems thinking.

Another thing that goes strongly with this way of thinking about
measurement and scaling above is that nature doesn't care what rulers
we use. We can use this idea to start talking about and using similar
triangles to do scaling and indirect measurements (heights of school
buildings, long distances, etc.). Forget about trig terms, etc. and
concentrate on similar triangles as one of the most powerful ideas of
all times.

For example, if we occlude a quarter with a dime and measure this
carefully, we see that the distance in diameters has to be the same.
[]

And if we then occlude the moon with a coin (as Aristarchos of Samos
indeed did!) we will find that it takes about 110 coin diameters, and
this means that the moon is 110 moon diameters away from us!

[]

Children love this (too bad adults don't, or they would know about
this and teach it to children).

Cheers,

Alan