[Squeakland] the non universals

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 08:05:56 PDT 2007

hi alan,

Thanks for extensive clarification of the items which I had left question
marks on

>From what you say the "non universals" group originates from you (!) which
sort of explains why I couldn't find other references to it on the net

I have used your lists at a few meetings and it has provoked a response of
sorts. On the one hand some people say the "non universals" is an
interesting list. However, I've also noticed some reluctance or inability to
discuss the items on the list in any real detail or to discuss the
implications for the formal education system. ie it seems to come at people
from left field

In his dissertation on the history of the Dynabook John Maxwell asks "what
is a powerful idea, anyway?" and also argues that there has been a  decline
of powerful idea discourse

What I'm noticing in educational discussion groups, blogs etc. on the web of
late is much talk about "web 2.0", "school 2.0" but this tends to take place
outside of a framework that maybe there are powerful ideas that really do
have to be taught in some way.

You do say that the major stakeholders don't get it. What I see there is
curriculum frameworks being used as blunt instruments of control. I'm
suggesting, too, that many of the "radicals", who describe themselves as
"web 2.0" are not getting it either.

In this context I like the idea of your list of "non universals" and John
Maxwells' idea of the need for more powerful idea discourse. However, I'm
also left feeling a bit unsure of the status of the "non universals" list,
eg. how complete is it? have people argued about it and disputed it?

I could think of some non universals / powerful ideas that are not on your
list, eg. Darwinian evolution, computer-human symbiosis for starters ...

I'm also curious about its connection with using computers in learning.
Clearly etoys and logo can be used to assist teaching some of those concepts
in constructionist fashion, esp maths and science. But for others I don't
see a close connection at the moment (eg. equal rights, democracy) -
although the OLPC project is becoming a part of that.

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/