[Squeakland] the non universals

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Aug 23 22:02:43 PDT 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:04:18 -0700, Bill Kerr <billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Guzdial's blog is a great discussion point (in general I think
> Mark's blog is really good but he has slipped up here). Alan has left a
> comprehensive response there, which does refute part of what Mark is
> saying

His basic point is right, even if two of his examples are wrong. The
problem I've had with design patterns is that they're not all that
meaningful until you've had to build them, and once you've built them,
they seem fairly obvious. I've found them more useful for communication
than anything.

In contrast to his point about Etoys, the problem I've had with them is
that they're too concrete.<s>