[Squeakland] music and math

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 07:20:02 PST 2007

On Thursday 29 November 2007 2:33 am, mmille10 at comcast.net wrote:
> I took a couple music theory courses in college years ago. One of my
> professors mentioned that he noticed a correlation between those who were
> good at math and those who tended to grasp music theory readily. He had no
> explanation for this though.
The underlying connections are still a topic of research. We do have a name
for it, though - synesthesia. Wikipedia has interesting links on the topic.
Both math and music share many conceptual bases - magnitude, multiples,
fractions, proportion, symmetry, cycles, permutations, combinations and so
on. A person with deep understanding of these concepts could express them in
various ways - dancing (body), music appreciation (ears),
sculpting/painting/drawing (hand, eye), singing (vocal organs). What we
call "math" is symbolic math - done with marks on paper. Understanding
symbolic math is easy once the conceptual math is in place, but building
conceptual understanding through symbols is a hard problem; as many teachers
will attest.

Subbu