[Squeakland] Seeking Tutorials on Serial Port I/O in Squeak

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 21:12:44 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 06:09:46AM +1000, Eric Eisaman wrote:
>    Hello Squeakers,
>
>    For some time now I have been building capacity in myself and my students
>    to engage handcrafted peripherals in Squeak programs.  Are there any
>    programming tutorials which taper a new learner into this type of venture
>    in maybe EToys with some added Smalltalk code?

I just finished a class project in which I created a custom
morph, with etoys support (custom tile selectors), and connected
it to an external USB port via FFI and a vendor library. The
project was a Gauge Morph, to which a tile script was attached
that read a new temperature from the usb port on each morph
tick.

The code is at http://www.squeaksource.com/gauge.html .  I tried
to well-comment the complex parts (like how to add custom tile
selectors to custom morphs)

A demo project is at
http://www.public.asu.edu/~mtfulmer/GaugeProject.002.pr . You
will need to load the mcz package first