[Squeakland] silence trashcan?

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Dec 11 21:25:58 PST 2007

Hi, Mark,

What you're hearing is the "page flip sound" made when the Trash
"Book" is turned to a new page which will accommodate the item just
added to the trash.

So to silence it, double-click on a trashcan, bring up the Trash's
"book" menu, choose "sound effect for all pages", and then select
"silence" as the desired sound.

Arguably it's a bug that a page-flip sound is made in this case, which
we should fix in short order.  In the meantime, the above procedure
should bring you the silence you seek.

Cheers,

   -- Scott

PS:  In a current Squeakland image, the Trash's "book" menu can be
obtained by clicking on the black dot in its header.  In an OLPC-etoys
image, bring up the halo on the trash tool, and from the halo menu
choose "book..." to get the trash's "book" menu.  In that book menu,
click on "visual and sound effects..." and from the resulting submenu
choose "set sound effect for all pages", and choose "silence" at the
desired sound effect.