[Squeakland] Squeak fails to run after install: security problems?

korakurider korakurider at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Feb 6 21:40:58 PST 2007

Hi Simon.

> I see that the Squeakland release is recommended for
> teachers over the
> squeak.org version, I guess because etoys have been
> made to work
> nicely.
   Exactly.

> Here's the problem.  On WinXP, I install it as
> administrator.
   Could you confirm if Squeak run as administrator?

> As soon as I try to run as a normal user, it fails ("a
primitive has failed",
> although the error message is in German).
   In squeakland image, "the security plugin" is enabled
by default.  Each user have his own crypt key file
"squeak.keys" located in folder
"C:\program files\squeak\plugin\(username)".
   The folder and file are created on first run of the
user.  Your "normal user" might not be able to create
them.

   A workaround is to arrange other location for them by
"SecureDirectory" setting in Squeak.INI, that is located
in same folder as squeak.exe.  The documentation for the
INI file is:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3274 .

   Other possible error source is squeak.ini, that is
created on first run.

> So I copied the image file into my own directory,
> and ran the
> Squeakland vm on it, but it fails with the same
> error.
   You could arragne location of image as well if you
need.

   hope this heps.

Cheers,
/Korakurider