[Squeakland] Startup problems

Stout J - Computing/MIS JSS at kgv.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 12:39:31 PST 2007

Curiously enough I have had exactly the same problem and solved it in a
different way.

Our users cannot run programs apart from a few trusted locations and
cannot create folders in other than, again, a few trusted locations.

I installed the software on our public drive, then setup a batch file
that copies the current image down to each user's private drive. I then
setup a shortcut which runs the program from the public drive but
specifies the image on their private drive:

Public:\Public\squeak.exe Private:\Squeak\SqueakPlug.Image

They could then run the program but got the German security warning. By
clicking on the Programmieren button we could trace the problem to
requiring a new folder in a prohibity location (C:\My
Squeak\%USERNAME%). I'm afraid we then, because I needed it in a hurry,
patched squeak.exe to change C:\Squeak\%USERNAME% to be
C:\Local\%USERNAME% (the users can write to C:\Local) and it appears to
work successfully. The only problem is that when  users save their image
they MUST put N:\Squeak\ at the beginning otherwise they will lose their
work as the image is written to C:\Local (which is cleared out on
logon).

It looks as though there will be a more elegant way to do this on the
Wiki which I'll have a look at tonight.

John Stout