[Squeakland] Squeak fails to run after install: security problems?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Feb 11 11:00:05 PST 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 0:39 , Markus Schlager wrote:

> Running  squeak on Linux-machines, I'd apprechiate such a solution,
> too.
> For the moment I'm using forced symbolic links, which works, but is
> complicated, since the computers at our school are so-called
> multiseat-systems, whence up to four users are using the same image
> simultaniously at the same time.

With a recent VM, you have two environment variables that let you
specify the user directory and the secure directory independently of
the (shared) image location. For example, to put both in a directory
named "Etoys" in each user's home you could put this in the startup
script:

etoysdir="$HOME/Etoys"
export SQUEAK_SECUREDIR="$etoysdir/private"
export SQUEAK_USERDIR="$etoysdir/MyEtoys"
[ ! -d "$SQUEAK_SECUREDIR" ] && mkdir -p "$SQUEAK_SECUREDIR"
[ ! -d "$SQUEAK_USERDIR" ] && mkdir -p "$SQUEAK_USERDIR"
chmod 700 "$SQUEAK_SECUREDIR"
chmod 755 "$SQUEAK_USERDIR"

- Bert -