[Squeakland] Doing a presentation of Squeak with Squeak as a presentation tool

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Mon Feb 26 05:57:06 PST 2007

Hi Hilaire --

Yes, I have given every one of my presentations since about 1998 only
using Squeak. And, I mostly use the ThreadNavigator to sequence
through sorted projects. This allows me to have an image with many
projects in them and to make up a thread for each talk. Sometimes I
will use a BookMorph in a project.

I don't use templates, but templating should be there in a more
complete way than it is. Scott Wallace did quite a bit of work many
years ago to investigate better template mechanisms that would do
quite a bit more than Hypercard, but they only work in BookMorphs. We
had planned to merge BookMorph pages and Projects but the lack of
funds after 2001 prevented it. Your method of saving a template as a
project and reloaded is the best way to go now.

It is not possible to merge two projects (and it's not completely
clear what that would mean in all cases). Why not just have the 3rd
party project be one of the projects in your presentation and go to
it in sequence? That's what I do.

In any case, now that we have a little more funding, we are working
on a better project architecture which will at least have a good
template mechanism and (probably) allow very simple merging.

Cheers,

Alan