[Squeakland] Bouncing?

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Jan 9 06:06:19 PST 2007

Hi, Bob,

Short answer:  The "bounce" of etoys doesn't do what you, or any
reasonable person, might expect it to.  So yes, you are best off
computing coordinates directly in your own scripts, rather than
trying to use "bounce".

Within its limited range of ability, "bounce" can be useful for
keeping moving objects onscreen without too much effort.

Beyond that, however, "bounce" is a pretty strange beast, best avoided.

However, for anyone still interested, read on...

-------------

When I tell a ball "Ball forward by 10" I expect to see it move
forward, and it does.  When I tell a ball "Ball bounce croak", I
might well expect to see and hear something happen, some sort of
reversal of direction, some sort of froggy sound, but instead it
doesn't seem to do anything.  Why is that?

It's because Squeak's "bounce" has a very narrow and less-than-
obvious meaning, something along the lines of:  "If I've just crossed
the edge of my container, then change my direction and position to
make me appear to have just bounced off the edge and returned to the
interior."

Unless scripts affecting the position of your object have just made
it cross the edge of its container (from a position previously wholly
within the container,) telling it to "bounce" will appear to have no
effect.   Unlike any other etoy command, it has its own implicit,
built-in "conditional" or "Test" having to do with the motion brought
about by currently-running scripts, relative to where the edges of
the container are.  This bit of magic can be used to nice effect in
some demos, but in practice it's pretty strange if you try to harness
it for anything interesting.

To meet the beast head-on, paint a Frog, rotate it slightly, drop it
into a Playfield, then build the script:

	Frog forward by 5
	Frog bounce croak

When you set this script to ticking, the Frog repeatedly goes forward
by 5 units, but it does not repeatedly "bounce", by any reasonable
interpretation of the word "bounce", nor does it croak -- in fact the
bounce request doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Until... the Frog approaches the boundary of its container.  When it
reaches or crosses such an edge, because of the "bounce" command, it
magically gets its heading, its x, and its y adjusted to give the
appearance of "bouncing off the edge of the container".  And only
then is the croak heard.

This is all that "bounce" can do.  You don't get to choose what the
object is to bounce off *of* (if the bounce does happen, it will
always bounce off of whatever edge of its container it has just
crossed,) nor by how *much* it should bounce (that is computed based
on its imputed speed, which is based on where it was before and where
it would be without the bounce afterward) -- nor even *when* the
bounce will take place (that is based on the "just-reached-edge-of-
container" test implicitly built into the "bounce" command.)

So to summarize... because of the above limitations, and because or
the maddening fact that when you tell an object to bounce it usually
does nothing, I do not  recommend using "bounce" for anything except
for those familiar, simple "forward by/bounce" scripts.

It would be interesting to hear some suggestions and discussion on
this list regarding possible improvements to the set of commands in
the standard etoy vocabulary.

Cheers,

   -- Scott