[Squeakland] Tracing the Dynabook: A Dissertation

John Maxwell jmax at sfu.ca
Thu Jan 18 16:33:28 PST 2007

Hi, everybody,

For the past few years, I have been working on a historical study on
the Dynabook vision as conceived in the early 1970s as well as how
the idea and its various incarnations have played out in the
intervening three-and-a-half decades. This has been part of my PhD
work in education at the University of BC -- as such, I am working
from an educational perspective, rather than a compsci one.

As of November 2006 I finally finished the thing, and successfully
defended it. I hereby unleash it on this community, in the hopes that
it will provoke discussion on the Squeak-oriented mailing lists and
beyond. Squeak-dev and Squeakland have been major resources to me all
the while, and I'd like to thank everyone on these lists for
providing such a rich ongoing commentary.

The entire work is roughly 300 pages. This link is to a PDF just
under 2 megabytes. At some point, if I have some time, I want to
break this out into some more granular web pages, but I'm already
late in releasing it, so here it is in its entirety. You can find it
(along with a brief abstract and ToC) at:

   http://thinkubator.ccsp.sfu.ca/Dynabook/dissertation

I'm very interested in any comments you might have.

  - John Maxwell
    Canadian Centre for Studies in Publishing
    Simon Fraser University
    jmax at sfu.ca