[Squeakland] the concept of mass

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Wed May 9 13:04:40 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 9:11 pm, Paulo Drummond wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following "Powerful Ideas..." - the great book by Kim & BJ, I'm
> trying to introduce the concept of mass (or weight, for simplicity of
> kid's undestanding), to enhance a project about pendula and energy.
>
> Any ideas?
Excellent idea. This would allow kids to simulate planets, satellites,
collisions and so on.

Sodaconstructor  (http://www.sodaplay.com) uses just three objects  - mass
(fixed or free), a spring (a stretchable line connecting two masses) and a
muscle (line connecting masses that stretches and shrinks periodically) - and
then four controls - gravity, friction, elasticity and an activation wave for
a muscle - to create very interesting "creatures". Be warned, this is very
addictive :-).

Regards .. Subbu