[Squeakland] Weird Heading numbers

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Fri May 25 19:10:46 PDT 2007

Our choice, which indeed goes against several longer standing
conventions (like 0=East, +=counterclockwise, or 0 = N to 360
clockwise), was adopted because we were looking for something that
would be close to how a 7 year old child thinks and had a symmetric
use of positive, negative and 0 (the original Etoys was for a younger
age group). This has worked very well and has many merits for all the
ages of children we work with.

And, of course one can assign e.g. 245 to heading and the player will
point as expected.

I think the preference you suggest would be a good idea. There is
already one for all playfields (including the world desktop) as to
whether (0,0) should be in the lower left corner or the center of the
rectangle ([] origin at center). Both have their merits. Similarly,
both negative degrees and staying positive around the circle have
their merits. And we should probably (and likely will) put in a
preference for the school math system, now that we are starting to
work with older children who are somewhat thinking along those lines.

I think starting with other than 0 would be a bad idea (and would
also violate the compass convention). Similarly, school math starts
with 0 pointing East, not 360.

If you want to see the regular compass headings you can write a
simple script that ticks once or twice a second that does the easy
conversion into a variable, then you can use a watcher to see the
value on the screen.

The debates we have are not about your issue but the more critical
one of whether we should have gone with the "school math" conventions
for more coherence later on. I still like starting with the compass
with N pointing up and clockwise for +. But there is a good QWERTY
argument for the school math conventions. (This gets more pernicious
with older children who have to learn the school convention -- and
when vectors are used -- should they be in school math or in compass?)

Cheers,

Alan