[Squeakland] Weird Heading numbers

Mike Stramba mstramba at sympatico.ca
Fri May 25 23:12:05 PDT 2007

>From: Paulo Drummond <ptdrumm at terra.com.br>
>To: squeakland at squeakland.org,
>Subject: Re: [Squeakland] Weird Heading numbers
>Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 01:21:16 -0300
>

>On May 25, 2007, at 11:57 PM, Mike Stramba wrote:
>
>>Compasses, GPS, Aircraft, Marine Vessels all use "real headings".
>
>Ok. Try explain to a 8-year child that 0 = 360.

You don't need to.   There is no such thing as heading "0".

Headings go from 1 to 360.

>>I've never heard of any other use for them (before playing with  Etoys ;)
>>)
>
>It's Geometry, in its very roots. I bet starting with this negativity  of
>angles, relativity of things, one who learned with this principles  in mind
>can understand the real basic Geometry (Euclidian, Cartesian,  Vector Space
>etc) much better, much earlier.

We're talking about *headings*, not *angles*.   If we're not, then the
parameter should be re-named to "angles" :)

Anyway , I didn't realize that the scripts would respond to "190-360" and
internally correct / do the right thing.  So I just need to figure out the
display/script thingy that Alan suggested.

It's also been "awhile" since I've been in school, but I've never heard of
East being referred to as 0 degrees !

By the time these kdis are adults, all the planes will be automated anyway
... or all the airlines will have gone bankrupt ;)

Mike