[Squeakland] "add a parameter" script feature in etoys

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Nov 6 16:55:10 PST 2007

On Nov 1, 2007, at 3:50 PM, Bill Kerr wrote:

> I can't assign a variable to the "add a parameter" feature available
> through the scripts menu in etoys. The parameter type is displayed
> and the type can be altered but it doesn't go green when I try to
> replace it with a variable of the right type. I can drag off a tile
> for the parameter type but that doesn't seem to help.

Hi, Bill,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking, but perhaps a
few general words about script parameters, and a simple example, will
be helpful...

The "Tile for the parameter type" that you can drag from the header of
a Scriptor is actually a tile representing the parameter value
itself.  You can drop such a tile at any type-appropriate place within
the body of the script.  Thus, if the parameter type is "color", the
tile will be labeled "Color", and can be dropped on any Color-type
tile in the script, and if the parameter type is "number", the tile
will be labeled "Number" and can be dropped on any Number-type tile in
the script, etc.

I attach a small example which illustrates use of a script parameter.
The script that has a parameter is called "wobble", and it takes a
numeric-valued parameter.  Its role is to make the object turn by a
random amount within the limit specified by the parameter.  The larger
the value of the parameter, the wider will be the variance.  Notice
that in the body of the script, there are two places where a "Number"
tile, representing the value of the numeric parameter, is used.  Both
of these "Number" tiles were obtained by dragging them from the
"number" tile in parameter area in the header, then dropping them on
numeric-valued tiles: