[Squeakland] Re: A Hero for OLPC [kids should be ambassadors soon!]

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Nov 12 02:02:44 PST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 6:54 , ax wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2007 3:51 PM, Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:
>
>> ...all those who are pursuing the OLPC goals are heroic in their
>> way...
>
>> ...Having said that, it probably was just a play on the fact that
>> he's on
>> "Heroes" and apparently has quite a cult following.
>>

> Once XO machines reach kids, we should expect OLPC folks taking video
> footage of kids really doing something with them - and those great
> footage would go around the globe - right? Kids themselves become
> proof - ambassadors.
>
> So that much of the degenerated (er, for example, tv watching) adults
> and teachers and geeks would sit up straight and say
>
> "okay, we have to live bit differently from now on. we have to use
> computers in bit more worthwhile, thoughtful ways."
>
> (no? revolution won't arrive that way?
>
> ...it might come a little earlier if we make kids ambassadors. Or
> that's too cheap? )

There is quite some material about the XOs in kids hands already. You
can read on the Wiki about the pilot schools, for example:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Galadima

Here is a nice one:

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/07/25/inside-one-laptop-per-child-
episode-04/

> ax at still don't understand why Squeak website has no section made and
> run by kids(or youth)!

Because it takes a lot of effort to maintain. I agree there should be
one, yes.

- Bert -