[Squeakland] Problem with scope of objects

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Mon Nov 12 23:56:27 PST 2007

Hello Christian,

I think that perhaps the "tutorial" you were looking at might not be
the best way to get started with etoys.

First of all, to get a classic "Hello World" built in a Squeak
project, there's no need to open a Viewer, nor to create or run a
script.  If you want a project which, when loaded, displays the text
"Hello World" (this is the classic definition of a "Hello World"
program, I believe,) you can simply obtain a fresh "text" object from
the supplies flap, then click to select the word "text" and then type
to replace its contents with the words "Hello World".  If desired,
resize the text object using the yellow resize handle.  Then save the
project, and you're done.  This is not a programming task, but rather
simply a get-to-know-the-environment task.

If for some reason you're intent on using a tile script to set the
contents of the Text object, rather than simply directly editing the
contents as described above, you can indeed pursue the approach
suggested in that tutorial.  However, the tutorial's instruction that
you click the checkbox in the Scriptor's header to change it from tile
mode to textual mode seems to be what's leading you astray here.
There's no reason to go to "textual mode" -- the task at hand is
easily accomplished staying in tile mode, by simply text-editing the
word "Text" to the right of the arrow in the script into the wording
"Hello World":