[Squeakland] Educational research

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 22 06:46:12 PST 2007

There=B9s actually a good bit of research indicating that technology in the
classroom, even at the elementary level, makes a difference. =B3The Economi=
st=B2
just did an on-line debate on this very question (with Bob Kozma, formerly
of SRI and U. Michigan, as supporting the claim of impact), and the
conclusion was that technology in the classroom does make a statistically
significant difference.  The Kulik=B9s did some meta-analyses early on (may=
be
20 years ago) that demonstrated a small but measurable effect.  The Apple
Classrooms of Tomorrow had a visible effect that Dwyer talks about in his
books.

The problem is that it=B9s impossible to hold all other factors equal.  As =
Jan
Hawkins pointed out years ago, the real benefit of technology in the
classroom was enabling new approaches.  I see Viewpoints as having this goal
explicitly =8B the idea isn=B9t to replicate the current approach with
technology, it=B9s to enable a new, deeper approach with kids (and teachers)
doing real science and mathematics.

Now let=B9s suppose that any school takes awhile to get all the kinks worked
out to serve an approach optimally =8B for teachers to understand how to ma=
ke
details work well (like grading and supporting the weaker students), for
parents and kids to change expectations, and for schools to understand how
to work out the larger scale details (like dealing with curricular learning
objective requirements and length of a class period).  If you measure the
approach during this ramp-up period (which almost certainly is over a year
long, from all the teacher adoption literature I=B9ve seen), the new approa=
ch
will look worse than the old approach, on just about any measure you pick
(from teacher/student/parent satisfaction, to performance on standardized
tests =8B which were themselves optimized for the old approach).  Now, throw
in technology on that new approach, and POOF! Technology is clearly not
successful.

I don=B9t see OLPC as impacting the critics of educational technology much.
There are too many variables changing at once.  I suspect that we=B9ll see
some impact =8B any investment in education where there is little there to
begin with is going to have at least some short-term impact.  The challenge
will be to sustain.

Mark