[Squeakland] Need advice about teaching programming to children

nigen dekirunigen at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Nov 22 21:07:54 PST 2007

I am a Delphi programmer.  I have start to taught programming to 4 grade
elementary student using Scratch for about 1 month. I  have  seen that
the programming concept can be understood  easily by the student.

I have learned "squeak learn programming with robot" . Currently, I am
learning smalltalk. I found that smalltalk is really powerful
programming environment. I hope I can eventually teach children real
programming. But I found that GUI programming like Delphi is much
simpler in the term of GUI.

I believe elementary student can do programming like adult if we have a
good method to teach them programming skill. (Please advice me if I am
wrong).
I need advise to how I should proceed my programming class. I have some
scenario
Scratch --> Etoys--> BotsInc. --> smalltalk or
Scratch --> BotsInc --> smalltalk  or
Etoys --> BotsInc. --> Smalltalk   or
Scratch --> Lazarus (Delphi like Open source).

thanks.