[Squeakland] Need advice about teaching programming to children

Alan Kay alan.kay at vpri.org
Fri Nov 23 07:55:13 PST 2007

Hi --

The biggest difference between elementary school children - and teens
and adults - is in their ability to make plans and carry them out --
quite a bit of this seems to be developmental and thus somewhat
related to age (where ages 11-13 are a pivot point between one kind
of planning and more elaborate plans). A second developmental
difference is in how certain kinds of abstractions can be learned and
used -- one could easily divide up the elementary years into 3 or 4
categories based on the kinds of abstractions and the forms for them.
Some of these results have been used in both Scratch and Etoys to
achieve a better cognitive fit.

The most important questions for you to ask yourself have to do with
your ultimate goals for teaching programming to children. Programming
can be a route towards learning lots of powerful ideas and thinking
processes, but it is not sufficient all by itself (the class of
programmers today doesn't appear to be necessarily very enlightened
or knowledgeable about much of anything by virtue of learning to
program). So you need some goals, and then some ways to possibly use
programming to help children learn what you hope.

Cheers,

Alan