However ...Re: [Squeakland] Panel discussion: Can the American Mind be Opened?

Alan Kay alan.kay at vpri.org
Sat Nov 24 08:28:11 PST 2007

Hi Bill --

I just read Professor Wu's paper. I agree in the large with his
assertion that the dichotomy is bogus, but I worry a lot about his
arguments, assumptions and examples. There are some close analogies
here to some of the mistakes that professional musicians make when
they try to teach beginners -- for example, what can a beginner
handle, and especially, how does a young beginner think?

Young children are very good at learning individual operations, but
they are not well set up for chains of reasoning/operations. Take a
look at the chains of reasoning that Wu thinks 4th and 5th graders
should be able to do.

Another thing that stands out (that Wu as a mathematician is very
well aware of at some level) is that while people of all ages
traditionally have problems with "invert and multiply", the actual
tricky relationship for fractions is the multiplicative one
                        a/b * c/d = (a * c)/(b * d)
which in normal 2D notation, looks quite natural. However, it was one
of the triumphs of Greek mathematics to puzzle this out (they thought
about this a little differently: as comeasuration, which is perhaps a
more interesting way to approach the problem).

A few years ago I did a bunch of iconic derivations for fractions and
made Etoys that tried to lead (adults mostly) through the reasoning.
One of the best things about the divide one is that it doesn't need
the multiplication relationship but is able to go directly to the
formula. So these could be used in the 5th grade.

But why?, when there are much deeper and more important relationships
and thinking strategies that can be learned? What is the actual point
of "official fractions" in 5th grade? There are many other ways to
approach fractional thinking and computation. I like teaching math
with understanding, and this particular topic at this time - and
provided as a "law" that children have to memorize - seems really
misplaced and wrong. Etc.

Cheers,

Alan