[Squeakland] looking for some advice on teaching Squeak to advanced high school kids

Alan Kay alan.kay at vpri.org
Mon Nov 26 07:41:43 PST 2007

Hi Oscar --

Let's exchange a few emails about this.

First, what would you do if the kids were University students with
the same experience? You have a day and a half, and you want to get
them to see what is interesting about a dynamic object environment
with a metasystem.

How much time (and how to use it) would you allocate to learning the
language, debugger, stuff in class library, and metastuff? What kinds
of dynamic changes would you get them to do? (E.g. how about changing
the shape of objects that are dynamically in use? We once added a few
instance variables to Morphic, etc., and it was interesting how well
this worked ... .)

A problem with the short time (i.e. let's learn to play piano in a
day and a half) is that it will be difficult to come up with a
convincing example that is not fairly easy to do in a static early
bound language (dynamic languages excel when dealing with difficult
complex systems that are hard to debug otherwise). (One of the
reasons Simula was not appreciated as it should have been in the 60s
was that the example in their ACM paper (that was small enough to put
in a paper) was fairly easy to do in Algol -- most people missed that
Simula really scaled for many important problems where Algol did not.)

What are your thoughts so far?

Cheers,

Alan