[Squeakland] squeak bump #3 .. mac file madness

Timothy Falconer timothy at immuexa.com
Thu Oct 11 11:00:54 PDT 2007

Hi all,

My apologies if this has already been brought up, but I've been trying
to figure out the file & directory scheme of the Squeakland installer
for the mac.  To know exactly how I set things up, see my install
video at http://waveplace.com/movies.

As far as I can see, the installer creates the following:

    1.  /Library/Internet Plug-ins/SqueakBrowserPlugin.plugin

    2. ~/Library/Application Support/Squeakland/Squeak.keys

    3. ~/Library/Preferences/Squeak/Internet/My Squeak/ (this is where
the desktop shortcut goes)

    4. ~/Applications/SqueakLand/Squeak/Internet/Squeakland (this is the VM)

    5.
~/Applications/SqueakLand/Squeak/Internet/prefs/knownServers/Squeakland-Projects (for upload and
download)

    6. ~/Documents/Squeakland/Squeaklets/resourceCache.map

    7. ~/Documents/Squeakland/Squeaklets/ (this is where projects are
saved in the new image, along with dupes in the directory above)

Saving and loading projects in the new image, it seems like the "My
Squeak" desktop shortcut (and associated directory underneath
Preferences) isn't used.  Files get saved in #7, not #3.  Also, I
noticed that projects get saved twice in #7 ... in the Squeaklets
directory and the directory above them.  This of course begs the
question ... which one should I use?

A suggested layout:

    1.  /Library/Internet Plug-ins/SqueakBrowserPlugin.plugin

    2. ~/Library/Application Support/Squeak/Squeak.keys

    3. ~/Applications/Squeak/SqueakVM (this is the VM, without an image)

    4. ~/Documents/Etoys/config/knownServers/Squeakland-Projects

    5. ~/Documents/Etoys/config/resourceCache.map

    6. ~/Documents/Etoys/etoys.image (the separate image)

    7. ~/Documents/Etoys/  (this is where projects get saved)

Config (#4 and #5) could go under /Applications/Squeak if it makes more sense.

Anyway, I hope this helps simplify things.  If I'm gonna be training
people to drag and drop project files, the existing layout is a bit
unwieldy under the hood.

Tim