[Squeakland] Principles behind EToys

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 04:03:48 PDT 2007

Hi,

Are there any papers or documents that describe the principles behind Etoys
along the style of John Maloney's article on Morphic[1]?

I am trying to understand the (conceptual) difference between a Menu and
Viewer in an object's halo. They both offer a collection of controls to act
on an object, change its properties and so on. The Viewer offers a richer way
(e.g. phrase tiles) to deal with the properties, so it could be extended to
handle all operations in the Menu halo. Do we really need the Menu?

Are categories hard-wired by design? If users could define their own category
(or move variables and scripts into existing/newly defined category) then
variables (e.g. area) could be moved into an existing (e.g. geometry) or new
category. Generic categories like "scripting" or "variables" will not be
necessary.

TIA .. Subbu

[1]
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf