[Squeakland] Re: Unscalable picture Re: [Etoys] Squeak activity about Measure

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Tue Apr 22 09:43:16 PDT 2008

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> 2008/4/22, karl <karl.ramberg at comhem.se>:
>

>>  Inspect the SketchMorph and do it:
>>  ImageMorph new image: originalForm;openInWorld
>>
>>  Or file in this change set that adds a menu item that toggles SketchMorphs
>> scalability.
>>

> The one from your .cs is even greater so that kids can still redraw on
> the sticker to construct sub-unit (as shown in my .pr file).

Yes, it is nice to hide ImageMorphs away from Etoys, as they just
confuse (walking like a duck but not talking like a duck )

> Although this example is simple like stupid, it really shows the
> pedagogical effectiveness of Squeak. Indeed all the step necessary to
> prepare the .pr file (importing the sticker from a scan, cutting the
> sticker, preparing a stickers distributor, writing the text, saving
> the projet, distributing it to the learner) is in the scope of a
> teacher even with low ICT experience.

There are lots of nice projects possible that are quite simple to set
up. But there is also some functionality missing that make it very hard
to do stuff that is simple if you know Squeak. But it's also a constant
struggle not to add too many features that just confuse and clutter up.

> And at the end, it is still a nice activity going into knowledge construction.
>
> I will propose later some more with a mix of DrGeo and usual squeak
> manipulation (some as bad example and other as good example)

I'm looking forward to these projects.

Karl