[Squeakland] distributing squeak on a network

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 04:33:37 PST 2008

On Dec 12, 2007 6:23 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007, at 13:35 , Bill Kerr wrote:
>
> > What is a good way to distribute squeak on a network (Windows
> > network at my school) ?
> >
> > From my understanding there is no option but to give each student
> > their own personal image file but the sources and changes files
> > could be left out.
> > http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/07/image-file-virtual-machine-
> > bytecodes.html
> >
> > If I was going to give students both Bots and Squeak then this
> > would result in quite large student folders, the image files range
> > b/w 15 and 20 MB. But I don't see any alternative.
>
> Well, as long as you do not need students to be able to save their
> own images, a single copy on the server should work quite well. You
> just need to fiddle with the squeak.ini file so everyone gets their
> own UserDirectory for storing projects and SecureDirectory for the
> project signing keys:

Fiddling with the squeak.ini or bots.ini file doesn't seem to change
anything

squeak seems to ignore
[Security]
UserDirectory=3DC:\botsFiles
in squeak.ini

and just defaults to

"C:\My Squeak\%USERNAME%"

so you stuck with that directory for saving in (which won't be acceptable at
my school)

All the *.ini files I have looked at in squeak / bots distributions don't
have a UserDirectory line in them

try pasting into the transcript
SecurityManager default untrustedUserDirectory  and using printIt
--> squeak seems to ignore
[Security]
UserDirectory=3DC:\botsFiles
in squeak.ini

try pasting into the transcript
SecurityManager default untrustedUserDirectory  and using printIt
--> 'C:\My Squeak\user'

or

SecurityManager default secureUserDirectory  then printit
--> 'C:\Program Files\Squeak\Plugin\user'

So, is it possible to run bots on a network off the one image so that users
can only save their scripts?

What are other people using bots in schools with networks actually doing?

-- =

Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/