[Squeakland] Please help us for translation (An experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Jun 5 13:05:54 PDT 2008

  José,

> Yoshiki, as you know, in LinEx we have all the strings translated for the etoys image (plus some other strings from some
> packages as drgeo, skeleton, etc.). Antonio Moreno has contacted with some of the etoys people, but the answers are not
> really clear about the way you want us to give you the translation.  Our current image is totally based on the current
> olpc image , with changesets added from us, but we have all the classes and objects the etoys image has, so if you give
> the exact way you want us to extract the translation you can have the spanish translation finished (and tested &
> checked) right now.
> About the newly translated phrases, if our image has been used and tested for several years, with teachers fixing
> translations when some mistake was found, what's the problem on wiping out newly translated phrases that has not been
> checked for so many people?

  Sorry for not being clear.  Korakurider has responded in more detail
and we definitely proceed in the right way.  As he wrote, if you think
it is fine (and perhaps it is more consitent to use phrases from one
team) to "wipe" the existing one (as probably most of them are
derivatives of LinEx work).  Some people may get a bit of bad
feelings...  So, please speak up before that.

  Another thing is the difference of european Spanish and new world
Spanish.  I don't know how much it really matters but the terminology
of new stuff like around computer can be quite different (ordenador
<=> computer^^;) What we can do is to save the current version just
as back up, upload the version from LinEx, and make sub language group
later.

-- Yoshiki