[Squeakland] [Q] add new sound, Kedama in OLPC image

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 23:03:43 PDT 2008

Hi.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Young-Jin Lee
<youngjin.michael at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a few questions about the OLPC version of eToy, which I downloaded
> from http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip .
>
> First, it looks like the current eToy image that can be downloaded from
> squekland web site cannot open OLPC-eToy projects. I assume that the
> Squeakland download version will be replaced with the OLPC version. I guess
> that my quetion is if I use the OLPC version now, will my eToy project can
> be opened in the future Squeakland download version?
   Yes.  They have plan to release new version of Squeakland called
"Squeakland OLPC" for non-XO platform.
   That will be basically same image as "OLPC Etoys", but with
different configurations.
   Early prototype has been released; see
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2008-May/002307.html

> Second, is there a way to import an mp3 file and use it in a sketch? In
> other words, I want to add a new sound in the "sound" category of the sketch
> viewer. Is this possible?
    You surely could add custom sounds and use them within tiles.
    With "Sound Library" in Object Catalog you could load aiff/wav.
Unfortunately mp3 isn't supported, but you could convert it (or even
hack mp3 support :-).
    And with SoundRecorder you could record from microphone or line
input and save in library.

> Third, the Object catablog of the OLPC version does not include Kedama. Does
> this mean that Kedama is not supported in the OLPC version? I guess not,
> because I saw Kedama examples, e.g., ParticlesDyeInWater.009.pr, in the
> ExampleEtoy folder. But, I could not figure out how to do a Kedama project
> in the OLPC version. Can anyone explain how to do the Kedana project in the
> OLPC version?
    You could still use Kedama in the new image though that is
improved from old one in squeakland2005 and there might be some
incompatibility.
    In object catalog, "Particles" is equivalent of old "Kedama bundle".

  hope this helps.
  /Korakurider