[Squeakland] Re: [Etoys] Another experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Wed May 14 18:48:38 PDT 2008

On 5/15/08, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Korakurider wrote:
> >     I mean that traditional squeak.exe win32 vm don't have the
> enhancement.
> >     The enhancement has been commited to trunk about 4weeks ago.
> >     And we can know exact version of etoys.exe only by binary compare
> > with other from known source ;-), that is problem, I think.
> >

> Easy: "Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1006" will tell you the unique build
> string for each VM. This should be enough to distinguish the VMs.

   Yes the method could replace binary compare.
But the string returned by the vm bundled:
   'Win32 built on Apr 28 2008 15:55:28 Compiler: 2.95.2 19991024 (release)'
gives almost no interestring to users other than the developer who
actually built the vm.

I tend to love to see some version number that is annouced, and
tagging in svn tree or actual small documentation describing what is
changed in the version.  even declaring just renaming of the specific
version of stock win32 vm is much better than no writing.

/Korakurider