[Squeakland] Squeak for code::XtremeApps 2009 contest in Singapore

Kim Rose kim.rose at vpri.org
Mon Nov 24 14:45:50 PST 2008

Dear Harish,

Your contest sounds quite interesting -- thanks for sharing with the
Squeakland community.

There are a few programs I can tell you about.  You should know these
used Squeak "Etoys" and not the more Smalltalk-like environment of
"Squeak" -- so these children did their "programming" creating scripts
and using the tiles found in the Etoy system.  If you choose to use
Etoys as part of your contest,  we highly advise you to use the most
recent version that can be downloaded from the Squeakland website now.
This version is also compatible with the version children are using on
the XO from olpc.

1) Hewlett Packard Japan started a program a few years ago called "HP
Super Science Kids" -- this was a country-wide program in Japan that
engaged children to participate by creating science-based Etoys and
submit them for judging by a "distinguished panel".   Winners shared
their entries via public venues.   Here is the official site of the
Program -- but I am sorry it is in Japanese -- hopefully you can find
someone to read/translate.
http://www.supersciencekids.com/

2) The organization "Waveplace" recently conducted a contest too,
focussing on storytelling, but several of the stories contain well-
created scripts that could lead children to create more powerful
simulations for science.   Here is that website:  http://www.waveplace.com/news/awards/

I hope others from the community will comment if they have had
contests or experiences in this area as well.   We would be most
interested in seeing the projects created by your participants if/when
they create them, so please do share with us!  We'd also love a short
article about your experience(s) for our email-newsletter.

Good luck with your program(s) --
regards,
Kim Rose

---
Viewpoints Research is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to
improving "powerful ideas education" for the world's children and
advancing the state of systems research and personal computing. Please
visit us online at www.vpri.org