[Squeakland] please help - trouble with mouseDown, mouseUp, and looklike

Nicholas Bennett nicholasjbennett at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 1 15:27:05 PDT 2008

 =

I have some odd behavior. It seems like what I am doing is reasonable and t=
he kind of thing anyone might want to do, I am hoping someone can tell me h=
ow I am misunderstanding.
 =

I want to get the effect of a sketch button via eToys scripting - to let th=
e kids make an active and engaging button to fire a script. It should chang=
e it's image to a 'button down' version on mouseDown and restore it on mous=
eUp.
 =

I tried the following:
a - paint a sketch
b - make a script, 'down', to 'sound croak', set it to run on mouseDown
c - make a script, 'up',  to 'sound motor', set it to run on mouseUp
That all works fine - you get the appropriate sound on the up and down even=
ts.
 =

Now to extend it to make the button up/down appearance:
1 - prepare two sketches for up and down
2 - add 'sketch lookslike downSketch' to the 'down' script
3 - add 'sketch lookslike upSketch' to the 'up' script
Only the 'down' script now fires. If I turn the 'down' script to run normal=
ly then the 'up' script runs on mouseUp.
 =

What am I doing wrong? How can I get the effect I am looking for?
 =

regards,
Nicholas
Be the filmmaker you always wanted to be=97learn how to burn a DVD with Win=
dows=AE.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588797/direct/01/