[Squeakland] Please visit the new Etoys website!

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 18:23:00 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 3:19 AM, Timothy Falconer <timothy at immuexa.com>wrot=
e:

> On Sep 12, 2008, at 10:11 PM, Bill Kerr wrote:
>
> the introductory images give a primary school feel but there is a section
> indicating it is appropriate for older ages:
> http://www.squeakland.org/showcase/byAge/ (first visual impressions can be
> very important)
>

> Do you mean the pastel illustrations?    We tried very hard to create
> custom illustrations that would appeal to primary school ages while not
> turning off teenagers.  It's a difficult balancing act, one that I think =
our
> illustrator did well with.   The illos are kid-like, but with a high enou=
gh
> quality to convey professionalism and depth.   Similar styles are used in
> corporate marketing and elsewhere ... to convey a friendlier, more human,
> appeal.

hi tim,

Yes, I was referring to the pastel illustrations. On the other hand, the car
animation on the home page I think will appeal to teens. Teens are edgy,
wannabe adults. Many of them are not looking for soft pastel.

I just looked at the scratch and gamemaker (commercial site) home pages to
see how they approach this issue. You get the impression there of busy
action, lots of different types of projects being made, suitable for
different age levels. They address this issue by simply displaying a variety
of current games / projects on their home page.
http://www.yoyogames.com/make
http://scratch.mit.edu/

Waveplace banner is professional, "soft" but there is contrast there with
rough and ready kids (does the middle one have a tooth missing?) and down
below more kids engrossed in xos.

Not to detract I hope from the huge improvement on the previous squeakland
site in terms of organisation and presentation of materials. I'm currently
using the car project pdfs, introducing etoys to my year 10 class.