[Squeakland] Please visit the new Etoys website!

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 07:01:43 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Timothy Falconer <timothy at immuexa.com>wro=
te:

> On Sep 15, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Bill Kerr wrote:
>
>  Teens are edgy, wannabe adults. Many of them are not looking for soft
>> pastel.
>>

> This is often true for teenage boys in some areas (US, etc) , but not
> others (Caribbean, Africa, Japan, etc).   Might seem like a bigger
> demographic because GameMaker appeals to teenage boys :)    It's also hard
> to do edgy without requiring more frequent design updates to keep trendy
> (otherwise run the risk of looking out-of-date.)   The current site will
> likely stay fresh in style for 5+ years.
>
>  They address this issue by simply displaying a variety of current games /
>> projects on their home page
>>

> There's always a tradeoff here ... you can also make the case that just as
> many first-time visitors are *lost* because of those busy home pages.
>  Imagine technically timid teachers and girls saying "not for me" on the
> GameMaker site.  (I certainly can.)

Good points, Tim. Thanks. It would be worthwhile doing some more cross
cultural investigation. (We have a few edgy African refugees in my school -
surprised they are not more edgy given what many have been through). My
argument all along was to appeal to the full spectrum, not one section of
it. I agree that GameMaker does appeal more to boys than girls.