[Squeakland] new etoys comments, questions

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 04:06:23 PDT 2008

On 9/21/08, Bill Kerr <billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of the new features on etoys are great and / or look really
> interesting.
>
> Here are some comments and questions about the new etoys (running on
> Windows) based on a preliminary look:
>
> 1) Default saving goes to a non existent folder C:\My Pictures\My Squeak and
> so saving fails. Solve this problem by holding down the mouse button on the
> Keep icon and then an option to navigate to a desired folder becomes
> available. This is not explained on the balloon help of the Keep icon,
> although it is explained on the balloon help of the Find icon.
>
> 2) Help: When you load the paint tools the Help fades out. You can click the
> arrow to the next page but can't Jump to a different Help sequence for the
> Paint tools. You have to close the Paint tools then Jump to a different Help
> page and then reopen the Paint tools
Sounds like a bugish usability issue. It should be looked into.

> 3) Can't find a timer? The clock on a script has a tick rate, the default is
> 8 ticks per second, but how can I program that to display a timer?
Holding down the mousebutton on the ticker brings up a menu.
Also the Digital clock in Objects tool is scriptable.

> 4) Show code textually is a nice feature - would be even better if you could
> open the code window to reveal all the code at once - good for learning by
> copying and pasting to other media
There used to be options to this in the Viewer flap menu, up in right corner.

> 5) How do you set the "preserve trash" preference mentioned in the trash can
> help balloon?
I noticed this one too yesterday. We should either have a simplified
Preference tool or remove the reference to it.

> 6) There doesn't appear to be a version number?
Projects are given a new version number on each save, and you usually
only see the latest in the default etoy tools. Branching a project is
therefor easiest to maintain by being explicit and giving it a new
name

karl