[squeakland] Where should I edit the Playfield INFO?

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Mon Dec 7 21:47:57 EST 2009

I started editing the Playfield here:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Etoys/TilesPlayfield
Then found another spot (which answered my questions on mouse x and y)
here:http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Etoys/Tiles

Which version should we keep?

Also Why is Playfield called a "Tile" wouldn't a better term be Object.

Below is an excerpt on my chat with Bert and Scott regarding Etoys Terms:

<mrsteve> Can someone help me distinguish/define the following terms in an
Etoys context . . .
<mrsteve> Object, Tile and Morph
<bertf> An object is what you create in Etoys by painting or from the
supplies flap. or more generally, anything you can get a halo on and script
- so everything you see in Etoys.  A tile is what you put in a script,
usually commands., but  referneces and expressions are tiles too. Morph is
not really used on the user level, it's an implementation detail.
<scottwal> "Morph" is any graphical object; it's an internal term which
unfortunately has leaked out into some of the documentation.   Some morphs
are "simple" (e.g. a SketchMorph really is simply a bitmap) but most are
nested structures consisting of submorphs which themselves consist of
further submorphs, etc.    Thus, for example, a "RecordingControlsMorph"
consists of a total of 75 parts, each of them a Morph in its own right.
<scottwal> As bert wrote (btw what are you doing writing documentation at 3
am, bert?!) "morph" isn't really used (or at least *shouldn't* be used) in
user documentation.
<mrsteve> Got it!
<mrsteve> Just to reguritate and test my understanding . . .
<mrsteve> Morph is an internal squeak/smalltalk term of art that should be
put back in the closet and kept there (action Item, make sure its NOT in the
documentation)
<bertf> scottwal: not really, just reading a bit more before going to sleep
<scottwal> bertf:  :-)
<mrsteve> So distinguish Player for me from Object
<scottwal> heh heh
<mrsteve> Also in the "collections" category for Playfield/Holder there are
references to: "first element" and "player at cursor"
<mrsteve> Why not "first player" and "player at cursor"
<scottwal> good point ;-)
<mrsteve> okay so part of facilitating understanding is to define terms
<scottwal> One could argue that Player is also an internal term, from the
standpoint of our users, but it does occur here and here in the UI such as
"player at cursor"...
<mrsteve> Is there some Standard reference of terms?
<scottwal> :-(
<bertf> as Scott said, Player is another internal term. An Object is really
a Player + a Morph. The morph being the visible thing and the player
defining the Etoys behavior
<bertf> mrsteve: that's one reason we need a reference manual, to define our
terms
<mrsteve> :)